Thursday, July 14, 2011

30 days to a better parent

Like most parents, I try to do my best on a day-to-day basis. But with a 3 year old and a 4 month old, things an get pretty stressful. I found myself getting overly angry or upset about things that are just everyday life. So a few days ago, I vowed to myself to be a better parent. To be more patient, listen more, play more and put off chores when I can. I shut off the iPhone notification sounds for my email and games so I wouldn't be tempted and I generally have my laptop powered down so I can take a minute and think about if I really need to get on it right that second or if it can wait.

I've come to realize that part of my frustration with parenting is that I expect my 3 year old to listen. That probably sounds ridiculous but it's a real issue with me. I know she can hear me. I know she can listen. But sometimes she chooses not to. I've heard other parents say how they too catch themselves expecting their kids to be "little adults" but that's not the way it works. I'm trying to remember that.

Anyway, back to the 30 days. I am trying not to yell unless it's 100% necessary (i.e. not staying next to me in a parking lot).  I made it through two days with great success despite frustrating events. Yesterday, I had a small slip. This morning, a bigger one. Here's hoping I can get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment