Thursday, July 3, 2014

A truly sh*tty situation

Let me start off by saying this may be TMI. You've been warned. 

My 3-yr old has been potty trained for a few months now (hooray!) but has gotten into a bad cycle of holding his poop. The longer he holds it, the harder it gets, the more painful it is to go, and the more he avoids going the next time. 

I was discussing the situation with my friend Liz and we realized parenting is truly a shitty situation. At various points in raising children, you are faces with one or more of the following circumstances:

Take a shit
Generally, this happens while you endure the seemingly never ending task of potty training. Getting them to pee isn't necessarily simple, but compared to getting them to poop it's easy. 

Give a shit
This is a life-long situation. When they're little, you teach them to give a shit about others and not be so self-focused. As they get older, you add giving a shit about themselves -- hygiene, doing well in school, sticking with a sport, etc. 

Not to be a shit
Again, a life-long lesson. Making your child grateful and polite can be a huge challenge in our "on demand" lives. Luckily (or unluckily depending how you look at) my kids are better for other people than for me so I get most of the little shit moments. They aren't fun, but better in our home than in public. Although, let's be honest, those moments happen too. 

Liz and I agreed this is an info graphic waiting to happen so if you're crafty, go for it! Hope your day is shit-less :)

1 comment:

  1. You are truly a woman who knows her shit. I hereby grant you an honorary George Award.

    ReplyDelete