Friday, November 11, 2011

Boo-freakin-hoo

This morning I had the rare opportunity to watch the Today Show. After about 20 minutes of coverage, my husband (active duty Army) noted that they hadn't mentioned it was Veteran's Day. That was irksome but what came about 4 minutes later really ticked me off.

There was a story about how Prince William is going to be separated from Kate Middleton for a 6-week deployment to the Falklands. They noted how he will "luckily" be leaving after Christmas and return home in time for the couple's one-year anniversary. It was also thought to debunk the rumor that Kate is pregnant.

Maybe it's because I have my husband's own pending deployment on my mind, but this story started to make my blood boil. Six weeks? To a non-combat zone? Yeah, I'd take that any day of the week. Know that he'll be home for Christmas? Yep, I'd take that too. Our anniversary? Sure, that would be nice.

Here's the reality that the Today Show should have thought about while reporting Kate's "heartbreak". Today is Veteran's Day. There are THOUSANDS of spouses whose service members are serving in far more dangerous places than the Falklands for much longer periods of time. Yes, Army deployments are being dialed back to 9-months (rather than a year) but there's still the fine print of train-up time, no R&R, and limited communication. Among those thousands, there are those who will be left behind, pregnant with no spouse and no family nearby, and some who will go through the birth of a child without their husband at their side.

So to make this a top story on Veteran's Day... All I can say to "poor Kate" is Boo-freakin-hoo! And shame on you Today Show for not highlighting the sacrifices made by your own countrymen. I'm sure it showed up at some point during your broadcast, which I turned off, but it should have been front and center.

3 comments:

  1. WOW. I didn't see that (I don't normally watch it anyway), but I don't blame you in the slightest for being annoyed. I would have been LIVID. I'm shocked that they would have the gall to present such a trifling situation as a heartbreaking tragedy on TODAY of all days. I'm sure you're not the only one who was offended, either.

    As for Scott (and I know he's not a veteran yet, but...), please thank him for his service for me. I am eternally grateful to Americans like him who make it possible for us to live freely in this nation, and I don't think they hear that enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Scott is a Veteran -- both the Gulf War and OIF/OEF. There are lots of active duty people who are also Vets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't realize he had been in previous wars - wasn't thinking. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete